Upon skimming the chapter, of of the additional philosophical theories presented seemed a little daunting. However, the concept of dialogic pedagogy, although only discussed briefly as it will be discussed with more detail in later chapters, really caught my interest. Wong states that dialogic pedagogy supports in the inclusion of voices of those who have traditionally been excluded from academic discourse. In a way, it creates new solutions to the question posed at the beginning of the chapter, "What is the nature of the learner or student?" This leaves me with one question: to what groups/voices is dialogic pedagogy targeting? Minorities? ELLs? Which student? The book states that theory is central to dialogic practices, and rightly so due to the methods dicussed in the chapter, but shouldn't theory be central to many types of pedagogy? Why is it central to dialogic pedagogy in particular?
I enjoyed reading about the historical/political relationship to TESOL history and methods. I ound one particular theory very interesting: the audiolingual theory. I loved the way in directly connected to a major historical event: World War Two. The audiolingual theory was emphasized when the US Military needed to train Army personnel for active communication. This got me thinking about other periods of history and how TESOL could potentially be affected. What about during the Cold War? With so much emphasis being placed upon math and science, how was TESOL and English instruction affected? Was the funding cut?
I think it's critical for us as educators to understand the important role that history has played in the development of TESOL pedagogy and programs. Events such as wars, immigration bursts, colonialization, etc can really affect the methods in which we teach languages.
Good points about the Audiolingual theory in relation to historical context! One of my professors in undergrad went to an intense military institute to learn Arabic in a matter of 9 weeks! Can you imagine? And yes, it is highly important to consider the culture where the student comes from and even analyze HIS/HER country's historical context as well. :o)
ReplyDeleteI am in agreement with you that things as simple as current events can affect the methods for which we would teach English to our students. Until I read the reading for this week, I never would have thought that current events would have such an impact on how I would be teaching languages.
ReplyDeleteIsabel--I know this isn't your blog posting but I am going to comment on your comment. Your professor that learned Arabic in a matter of 9 weeks, do you know how successful they were in the language? Do they still remember the language today? Things like this would be interesting to know because it would help us know how successful the audiolingual theory is for people that are learning languages.
I also liked the part about the Audiolingual theory in relation to historical context because I never really thought about that! Upon looking at all the theories we will never know which one is the "right" one until we create our own methodology to meet the needs of our students.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading about all of the history of TESOL points made as well. I agree with you also when you say that current events definitely play a role in the methods we use to teach English! If you even apply that same theory to other subjects you learn in your L1, it still makes sense.
ReplyDelete