18 January 2011

Week 1 Reflections

Although I have already taken two linguistics classes as part of the TESOL sequence, I was excited to begin a class in which I would learn about specific practices and theories in TESOL. The first two chapters in Saville-Troike's book were an excellent introduction to the study of TESOL. Although I was familiar with or at least had heard of many of the terms before, I felt very happy with the amount of detail, yet ease that they were explained in.

There were quite a few things that I came across while reading that I felt very strongly about. In tonight's presentation, the boys thoroughly explained and reinforced the ideas that were presented in the text. One thing that I found interesting was the Monitor Theory, more specifically, the final stage- the Affective Filter Hypothesis. Upon first examining this theory, it seemed very convoluted and complicated to me and I really didn't understand it. However, with their excellent presentation, I realized that the Affective Filter Hypothesis, which says that in a low-stress learning environment, the filter (how much you limit your speech, etc) is lower. I was quickly able to make sense of this concept by thinking about my experiences with this concept. For example, in our very own ENG 344 class. Because I am surrounded by a great group of peers and educators who share the same passion for languages, learning, and teaching as I do, I feel very comfortable in this setting and am not at all shy when speaking up. This concept can also be obviously related to the environment of a foreign language class. If there is a high level of intimidation, then the speaker's filter will be higher.

I believe that I am very lucky to have ended up in this section of 344. I look forward to sharing my ideas with my classmates through these posts as well as reading about their ideas and thoughts.

1 comment:

  1. Keri,

    You are right that affective filter hypothesis can even be applied to our very own 344. I'm glad to hear that your filter is low in this class, and that you are able to speak up and reflect on the class content comfortably. Your example demonstrates the importance of environmental factors in learning.

    ReplyDelete